Monday, February 4, 2008

My first post!


Hello blogging world!

This is my first time ever posting a blog. I am enrolled in an online education class through the State University of New York at Buffalo and I am thrilled to be learning how to blog!

I have never used blogs in the classroom but I have been thinking about different ways to incorporate this rich tool so that it could be beneficial for my students. I have thought of a few ideas and I am open to any and all suggestions. I have recently ordered Ann Davis and Sandy Peters' Weblogs! The Possibilities are limitless from Amazon and I am hoping that this will also give me some useful ideas.

One thing that I do with my students, that essentially is somewhat like a blog, is that I have them all write small 'articles' reporting on a news event from the previous week , we compile them into a 'newspaper' and everyone must write comments on post it notes on each of the articles… but these comments must be in Spanish. Then the author of the article must comment back on a post it note on each of his or her comments. I have always enjoyed this activity but I do not do it often because it is time consuming and can get disorganized, but how great to now know how to blog! I can do the exact same thing and be completely paperless. Besides anything having to do with the internet and computers always excites my students!

Any ideas and help or useful blogging hints are welcome! Have a great day!! :o)

4 comments:

noor said...

Hi this in Noor ,
thanks for being the first one to post.Then you gave us a greate model.

Fei Jiang said...

Hello, Matthew, this is Fei from LAI588. You're always the first one that completes the assignments every week. From your blog, I can see your passion about the second language teaching. Quoted from one of my favorite movies, "passion is the key to success". I also want to invite you to my weblog "Teddy Bear Loves English". I'll be looking forward to your comments!

Mingming Yang said...

Hi this is Mingming from LAI 588.
I think the blog is a good way to promote students to practice their writing, such as sharing their daily life with classmates. They must be very excited to receive comments on their own blog, so am I. ^_^

bturner33 said...

Hey, this is Brian Turner from LAI588. Your blog looks good and its obvious you have spent a lot of time on it. I am also interested in second language teaching and strategies. My blog is a work in progress, but eventually I would like to use my blog for sharing teaching strategies and activities.